Monday 4 August 2008

Vintage Embroidery Transfers

There is a Vintage Iron-on Embroidery Transfer group on Stitchin Fingers. This motivated me to search out the embroidery transfers I had inherited from my mum. Many of them belonged to her mum and grandmother. I think the earliest date I could find was 1934.

I had always intended to use them and I just needed that little prodding to get them out. I think I spent an hour just looking through them. I find anything like this fascinating. I have all their knitting patterns going back to the same time too.

I chose a little design today, and much against D's wishes, I am going to use it for a card. D wants me to keep it and make a tiny picture.


DMC Threads used were 3345 for the stems and outline of leaves, 3346 for the filling of leave and sepals, 744 for outline of petals, and 745 and 746 for the petal fillings

I used stem, split and satin stitches.

This evening it will definitely be back to the knitting. I have done 71/2 inches of the front so far.

This jumper may have to take a back seat for a few days as the boys want me to knit a baby jumper or something for a friend who has just had a little girl. I just have to see if I have enough yarn upstairs to complete a garment, or else they will have to wait until I can get into town and buy some.

8 comments:

Ginnie said...

That's a pretty little design, must have been lovely going through all that old stuff.

Nancy McCarroll said...

Nice; love that vintage flower motif.

Anonymous said...

what a pretty little design! Going through vintage patterns is so much fun, you never know whats going to jump out at you and beg to be stitched.

Rudee said...

I love going through very old things. How are the knitting patterns to read? I have a hard time deciphering old patterns, even when it's laid out for me like in Victorian Lace Today. I find myself reading it and saying, "huh?"

I like the flower design very much.

Beneath the Eaves said...

I love your site. What a wonderful design and beautiful work. I too love vintage designs and have early 1900 ladies magazines. It is fun to live our modern life and look back at theirs.
Thank you also for the comments on my site. I apologize for the length of time it has taken me to respond.

hokgardner said...

You are lucky to have the vintage patterns. My grandmother, who died this spring, knit a bunch of stuff for me when I was a baby and for my girls, and I would love to have had her patterns. But so far, in the packing of her house, no one has come across them. Of course,it's entirely possible that Nona made things up as she went.

Patty said...

That looks pretty!

Patty said...

You're so lucky to still have those patterns! The flower design is pretty. I hope you'll embroidery some more from those patterns.