Friday, 11 July 2008

Day 2-Needlepoint

Ever had one of those days when nothing ever seems to go as it should? Well that's what mine was like. I love needlepoint and as I am used to following charts, so you'd think that I would have sped along today. Not sure if it was because I was tired, but the positioning of the stitches just seemed to keep giving me problems. Never the less, progress has been made.



The central block is stitched using slanted gobelin stitch with scotch stitch filling the corners. As this cotton was very fine, I had to double up to get the finish I wanted.



The centre of the flowers are worked in smyrna stitch.



This is the first time I have done rhodes hearts and it took me ages to get the first one positioned correctly. However, once it was in place, I really enjoyed stitching these.



This block is stitched using bargello stitch and again I used double thickness thread.


If I was to do this again, I would use a smaller count canvas. I am trying to use up what I have stashed away so I am making allowances. This means I am going to run out of some of the threads so for the rest of the piece I will add some DMC floss. I have ordered some perle cotton from Stef Francis for stitching some of the blocks. This is going to be a truly experiemental block.

I am hoping to make more headway tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ginnie said...

Your stitching is looking really good. I like to vary from cross stitch occasionally an try other needlework.... I think I might sort some out again!!!

Judy B said...

You get so much done. Lovely variety of stitches. I've only done a little cross stitch but now I'm tempted to try some different stitches.