Monday 3 November 2008

Andrew's Not Quite Card

A friend of mine is a quantity surveyor and is taking a big exam at the end of the month. I wanted to send a card wishing him all the best for the exam. I wanted to do something personal and hopefully bring a smile during all the stress of revising.

As part of his job, he has to do site visits, so I wanted to find a picture that would relate to that part of his job. I did a search for a free clip art picture which I then adapted. Here it is drawn onto fabric. The next stage is the fun bit. I coloured in the picture using crayons. Once that was done, I fixed the crayon using an iron over some kitchen towel. This was repeated until no crayon lifted onto the towel.
The picture was then ready for stitching. As I wanted to keep a cartoony feel to the picture, I just outlined the drawing using two strands of black DMC embroidery thread. I used back stitch throughout.


Once the stitching was complete, I ironed the fabric and mounted onto some card. There is a layer or wadding between the fabric and card to give a cushioned effect.


I now have to get some double fold card or plain card stock to make my own card. I thought I had some upstairs but was sadly mistaken. Hopefully, I can get some on Wednesday so I can get the card completed and posted before the weekend.


13 comments:

Annie said...

What a great idea! That really turned out well.

Paula Hewitt said...

this looks great - such a cute card. i like the cartoony look.

Ginger said...

That's fantastic! It's such a cool idea and has turned out really well.

Anonymous said...

You are really creative and did a super job on this well-thought out idea. I love it and will have to think of uses for just such a thing in the future for myself. Lovely.

Bernadette said...

I love the piece. What a lucky friend to be sent something so terrific. He will be able to frame the card for his office if he chooses. And I hadn't thought to use crayon to color fabric. What a great idea.

Linda said...

Cute, I just love to do draw and work with crayons. I am working on two crayon quilts now. I am doing it the same way you are, color and press, then do backstitching around the coloring. Fun and easy to do. Cute card....hugs, Linda

stitchersanon said...

what a fantastic idea! My son wants to be an animator and is always doing really cool cartoons..this would be an excellent way to preserve some of them! He is of an age where he doesnt want his mummy to make him things (13 ;-) so this way we both win!
Thank you
thank you!!!
Gaynor

Ro said...

That's so creative! I love it.

Ginnie said...

Card looks great - what a good idea.

Elena said...

This card is adorable! Love your fabulous idea!!! I think you inspired me! Did you use fabric crayons for this or just regular?
Your stitching is very very neat!

CathE said...

That looks great. I'm sure all you effort will be appreciated.

zetor said...

A brilliant idea, so clever!

Knitting Linguist said...

It looks great!