Tuesday 17 August 2010

First Signature Blocks Made

I put together four signature blocks today.  These are my first and it took some time to think about what represented the city in which I live.

Sheffield is world renowned for it's cutlery, so I had thought of using that on the centre, but silver and steel have been used.  Then it came to me, a crucible was the perfect image.  Whatever was used to make the cutlery, a crucible would be used to melt the metal.
DS2 told me I should put "Steel City" on the block, the name that is given to Sheffield, although in recent times, the steel industry has been hit hard.

The Crucible has another significance for Sheffield.  It is the name of one of the theatres in the centre of the city.  This theatre is the home of World Championship Snooker.  The first visit DS1 had to Sheffield was to come and watch a snooker match.

These shall be off in the post as soon as possible

9 comments:

Annie said...

Clever idea. Should be fun to exchange these.

Terry said...

Nice blocks and interesting symbol.
Enjoy the exchange

Terry said...

Very nice! Now I really need to get busy and get my blocks made! LOL

Tudy said...

What a neat block.

Unknown said...

That is a great idea!

Elena said...

What a neat idea with the signature blocks! Should be fun to exchange them! :)

Mad about Craft said...

Thank you for mine, I received it today!!

Karen said...

love the references you have used to identify Sheffield. I always think of it as ''the steel city''.

Karan said...

Perfect representation. :0) Our steelworks has just realised they cut back the manpower too much & are now hiring again.