Wednesday 1 September 2010

While the boys are away.....

.....mum will play, and go to a workshop!

On Sunday, I had a lovely day attending a felting workshop at The Millenium Galleries in Sheffield.  I've always wanted to make felt, and I've been told it was easy to do.  I had a book with the instructions, but I always wanted to see it done myself, have hands on instruction.  There are certain bits, although they can be well explained in a book, that only experience can really tell or show you.

Jude, our instructor was brilliant.  None of the questions asked were too trivial, and she patiently imparted her experience to us.  The day was everything I had wanted, and more.  I had very nearly not attended at the last minute, as I'd hardly slept the night before, and didn't feel one hundred percent in the morning.

I was so glad I did go.  I came home with this:

I even managed to make it with two colours.  I can't tell you the number of times it has been turned inside and out to decide which way I prefer.
I was quite happy to do a plain bowl this time to get the hang of the basics, but I am looking forward to having some more felting fun and incorporating patterns and fibres.

As there was still plenty of time to spare, I had a play at needlefelting.  This was just a practise piece to get a feel for the technique.  It's a completely different process, but it find it quite therapeutic too.
I shall  be on the lookout for more workshops the next time the boys are away,  Who knows what more fun I could be having!

4 comments:

Annie said...

Very nice bowl. I suspect you'll be an expert at this too before long!

Terry said...

Oh that's so pretty! Well done! :0)

Angela said...

Looks like you had a great day. I've signed up for a 10 week evening class at my local college 'an intro to felting' so if I come back with anything as great as your cute little bowl I'll be happy :)

Linda said...

Oh, I love your bowl. So cute. I have only felted purses and I loved the way they turned out. I accidentally felted a hat and I never thought of it as a bowl! I'm going to have to dig around for that and see if that will work as a bowl. I never thought to turn it upside down, well duh! Anyway, I'm sure I didn't toss it and was going to use it for something. I have one purse to felt now. I'll show it after it's felted. It was fun, huh? It amazes me everytime I do it. I hope you're feeling better. Hugs...