Sunday 12 September 2010

Aran jumper finished

As the boys are getting bigger, knitting for them is taking a little longer.  This aran jumper was fairly quick to do, though it took two days to do the finishing.

I'd finished doing knitting the neckband at nine o'clock in the evening and thought the sewing up could wait until the next day.  As I was sewing up the raglans, I thought that something wasn't quite right, but it took a little while to register.  Somehow, I had forgotten to knit in one of the sleeves when I was doing the neckband!  This is something I've never done before, and can't work out how it happened.

Nevertheless, DS2 definitely has two arms, so the neckband had to be undone, the second sleeve put in, and then the neckband re knitted.  Eventually at tea time. I had a completed jumper that was the right shape, and hopefully the right size!

I finished off some bookmarks too. 


These are embossed on parchment then perforated from the main sheet to give the raggedy finish. The lines at each end that go to the leaves, are done in silver. I've used dark blue card to back them and then used bookmark covers to hold them together with a ribbon to finish.

I have some with gold lines ready to make up.  I want to get some black card for backing them, so they will have to wait to be finished.

6 comments:

Terry said...

That's a beautiful sweater! He ought to love it! Pretty bookmarks too! :0)

Gina E. said...

You must be an extraordinarily fast knitter to achieve those results in that time! I know people who on finding a mistake like that on their knitting, would have left it in a pile somewhere out of sight for the next five years! Gosh I wish I lived next door to you. I'd make a real pest of myself, popping in to ask you to show me how to do all the stuff that you do!!

Knitting Linguist said...

The sweater is gorgeous! I'm betting it will get a lot of use (and a lot of love) this winter :)

Annie said...

I'll take that sweater if it doesn't fit DS2. Never thought about how it takes longer to knit for them as they grow. Maybe you should just switch to bulky yarns and bigger needles (as if you need to speed things up!).

Super bookmarks. Interesting technique.

Maggi said...

Lovely sweater, makes me itch to do another aran. The bookmarks are so delicat.

Rudee said...

It's gorgeous. Glad you finally showed the jumper just who is boss around there. Nicely done!