Sunday 15 May 2011

Two Challenges in One

Pink is still the colour for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so I thought I'd incorporate it with the quilt challenge on the yahoo group, Small Quilt Talk.  The challenge is to make a quilt, no more than 30" square using a basket block.  Now, I haven't done these before in a big block, let alone a 4" block.

I did make a start in the week, but it was a bad day,  Every bit I sewed, I had to unpick and do again.  After three blocks like that, I gave up.  Thursday was a better day, but I still did not have enough blocks, so I did some more yesterday.

This the first time I've set blocks on point, so it's been a bit of trial and error, but this is what I ended up with by the time I finished yesterday.
I ran out of white, so I packed it all away until I could get some more.  As I was tidying up, I found another piece of the white, so I've cut it ready to piece some more today.  I think there my be enough to get the top done this weekend.

These small blocks are definitely a challenge, and less forgiving than the larger blocks, but using some tips from other blogs, I starched than ironed the fabric before cutting.  I found it was so much easier to work with so will try to remember to do it the next time.

12 comments:

Angela said...

Wow, those baskets are tiny. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to work that small as I think I'd end up unpicking a lot. They look really lovely though.

Terry said...

Wonderful effort. starch is always a good friend. You can even use oldfashioned. In the wash type if the fabric is soft or the block has lots of cross grain.

Tudy said...

Great job. I had to do some unpicking on the bag I did yesterday too. Seems I usually do some on most projects.

Amy said...

Ooooo......cuuuuuuute blocks! And YES, starching was a great tip to share with you.

Karen said...

it's definitely going to be warm in your house this winter...all the beautiful quilts you make...sigh...

Terry said...

Your little basket blocks are amazing! You did a great job on them! :0)

Char said...

Great basket blocks!

Quilter Kathy said...

I love your adorable basket blocks!

Judee said...

Glad you didn't give up. Those blocks are amazing.

Ellen said...

Your tiny little basket blocks are just darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Those blocks are just the cutest things. I love them. Also the tip about the starch is timely and gratefully received as I'm plucking up the courage to cut the fabric for The Gardener's Journal. You do inspire me.

Funky's Mama said...

Oh yeah, forget the diamonds, starch is a girl's best friend, especially when working with mini blocks.

The baskets are super-cute, btw! They're going to be great once they're all "set".