Tuesday 10 May 2011

Purple

I seemed to go on strike during the purple month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, so when the theme for this week's Creative Tuesday was announced, I knew I had to make up for it.   I don't know why, but the first thought I had was tulips.  I was going to do a single tulip, but while I was looking for a suitable picture to adapt, I came across a couple of tulip patterns that took my fancy.  I ended adapting a pattern from freepatterns.com
Unfortunately, I didn't have enough batting to finish it into a wall hanging or table topper, but hopefully, it should arrive later today.  With a bit of pink in it too, it will fit in with this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge too.

All the pieces are fused to the fabric then, using invisible thread in the top of the machine,  I stitched them using a zig zag stitch.  The petal details are done with a straight stitch. 

This was the first time I've done mitred corners on the outer border, and, though not perfect, I am happy with the result.

If you click on the Creative Tuesday link over the next couple of days, you'll be able to see how other artists have interpretated the theme.

28 comments:

Angela said...

I love tulips, yours are so pretty!

Tudy said...

Very nice and a beautiful spring design.

Maggi said...

Very lovely, shades of spring.

Annie said...

Beautiful colors, great technique on the applique and mitred corners. A winner all around!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

What a lovely piece of work. When finished it will be a lovely wall hanging. Well done.

Unknown said...

You did a great job. Very artistic and with fabric too. I am envious.
QMM

Crystal said...

This is fantastic. It will make a great wallhaning. You tulips are just so springy! :-)

Terry said...

That came out great! The colors are very pretty and your corners look fine to me! :0)

Heather said...

This is very pretty. I like the geometric shapes of the purple on the inside there. I love tulips, too!

Anonymous said...

Tulips are my faves too and i love how you have interpreted them with fabric. Gonna try that one day...

Melisa said...

Lovely tulips!

Daniella said...

This is beautiful! It would make a lovely wall hanging, or table topper for sure!! I can't believe you sewed it too!!
xxDaniella

Unknown said...

Wow! this is really pretty and it looks like a whole lot of work too! Perfect for a purple spring!mu

Wanda said...

What a extraordinary project you have created. It's absolutely beautiful, and so practical, it can be enjoyed for a long long time.

Lots of time and effort, and it certainly paid off... Beautiful!

Karen said...

I have tulips on my table at the moment!! this is lovely....

Rudee said...

Funny, I was just outdoors looking at my purple tulips and then came here to see more. I like the modern update you gave to yours.

Jehanne's doodles said...

oh this is lovely. I just love the stitching on the petals :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful work...love tulips

Birdie said...

This is not only beautiful, but incredibly impressive as well. The pattern is complex enough to be interesting but not too "busy" so that it distracts. Lovely

Betsy Brock said...

Very pretty! I love purple tulips! I used to have some varigated ones. :)

Elena said...

These tulips are so pretty!

Christine said...

oh this is a beautiful pattern!

Michael said...

Jane, it's SO nice to see you back again. I realise Quilts take along time so any time you can tie it into one of the CT themes, I'm delighted. This is wonderful. TY for your contribution. Love the choice of purples your have here too.

Meryl said...

Beautiful work. Nice to meet you. I'll be back!

Unknown said...

Holy cow! You more than made up for ditching purple on Rainbow scrap challenge. Beautiful!

Christie describeHappy said...

Just lovely!! I adore the pattern you picked and I also have tulips on the brain!! So glad to find you through Creative Tuesday!

Cheryl said...

I like your composition here where traditional applique has a more contemporary look with the border and center colors and design. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous. Lovely.