Monday 23 May 2011

Creative Tuesdays-Tree

I was so pleased when I saw that the next theme for Creative Tuesday was "tree".  At the time I was cross stitching a spring tree, perfect for the theme.

When I saw the picture, I just liked the spring feel of it, and had no idea as to how I was going to finish it, but ideas started coming.  Once the cross stitching was completed, I knew exactly what I was going to do.

My youngest son grow carnivorous plants, and has seed heads to harvest in the autumn, as well as trading in seeds from other growers.  At the moment, he has little bags,and folds of paper floating all over the place.  Having somewhere to have them safe and organised seemed like a good idea.


 The cross stitch formed the front of a seed book.  The inside is divided into compartments to hold the seed packets.  They are of different sizes as some of the packets are quite small.  I've used a popper/press stud for the closure to keep them all safe.
A Venus flytrap may have been more appropriate on the front, but as spring is the time for planting most of the seeds, a tree in spring will do.

This is the last project out of the old copy of Discovering Needlecraft that I'm doing, so it can now go in the post to it's new home in Australia.

18 comments:

Angela said...

That is a lovely tree I can see why you wanted to stitch it. And you found a great use for it too :)

Maggi said...

What a great idea. The tree looks lovely on the front.

Terry said...

Love the spring tree! And what a great idea to make it into seed storage holder! :0)

Anonymous said...

I love the creative solutions you come up with. This is amazing.

Crystal said...

Lovely cross stitch work. Perfect place for seeds. What could be better! :-)

Birdie said...

What a lovely tree, and you do such neat work. I love cross stitch but I never know what to do with it when I'm finished. This is a fabulous idea!

Melisa said...

What a clever use for the lovely little tree!

EVA said...

Lovely cross stitch tree and what a fabulous idea! Carnivorous plant seeds - what an unusual hobby!

Wanda said...

Beautiful cross stitch, and what a creative way to use it.

Wasn't trees a great theme. You certainly did it justice.

Unknown said...

oh this is so pretty!!!! wonderful tree

Christine said...

what a lovely cross stitch!

linda (dots n doodles) said...

This is so lovely, and what good use you will have from it.

Morph Waffle said...

The cross stich is so pretty and what a neat idea!

Unknown said...

Absolutely brilliant. Not only artistic but practical. Can't beat that. Great job.
QMM

Betsy Brock said...

It's a lovely tree, too...and full of blooms for spring! :)

Kristin Dudish said...

Your cross-stitch is beautiful & this is such a clever way to keep the seeds safe. I love the idea of a venus flytrap cross-stitch... that would be very, very cool!

Michael said...

Well, I am glad you did NOT do a Venus Fly trap actually. this one is simply beautiful --I love the flower blossoms especially. How prefect the timing was, eh? So glad you coudl join in, JanE! i know these things must take quite some time to do. Love it.

Unknown said...

Wow! I love your textile interpretation of the theme. It's wonderfully cheery.