Wednesday 28 October 2009

Autumn Postcard Number 5


For this card I used sycamore seeds.  I love the veins in the wings  and thought these would be perfect for doing rubbings. 

Once I had fixed the crayon, I used DMC 433 in two strands for the stitching.  I outlined the seed and the upper edge with split stitch, then filled the seed with satin stitch.

The girls from across the road were here when this was completed, and the youngest said, "oh, that's just like those things we throw up in the air and watch as they twist down!".  Nice to know they are recognisable.

That's now five down, five to go. 

5 comments:

Annie said...

What a clever idea. That one is lovely.

stitchersanon said...

Perfectly recognisable. We used to love throwing helicopter seeds up into the air! There were lots of sycamore trees around when I was growing up. It is lovely. Very clever!

Terry said...

Pretty! We call them helicopters and the ones we have seen have been on Maple trees here. :0)

Knitting Linguist said...

My first thought is that those are the things that my mother and her sisters used to split (the seed part) and stick onto the bridges of their noses when they were kids. Definitely recognizable!

Karan said...

Fab idea - looks lovely. Very noce crochet hook roll too. :0)