Monday 12 October 2009

Acorns

As in previous years, the Yahoo Hand Embroidery Group has put up some patterns for an autumn challenge.  One of them is an acorn scroll type pattern.  I have divided the pattern in half and will make two fabric postcards.


This is the first, and I really enjoyed stitching it.

I have done these as fresh acorns, thus the greens.  I used two threads throughout, though most of the colours have been blended.  It was stitched as follows:

Acorns-padded satin stitch, outlined in split stitch using DMC 472 and 471 (my favourite part)
Cups    -chain stitch, outlined in split stitch using DMC 471 and 3346
Leaves-long and short stitch using DMC 3346 and 3345
Stems  -stem stitch using DMC 3345

I am thinking of choosing a warm autumn colour to do the next one.  That's the joy of embroidery, it doesn't always have to be realistic.

8 comments:

stitchersanon said...

How do you do so much, so well and so quickly???? I love the acorn postcard. Everytime I think I have found my favorite...you go and change my mind lol!

Maggi said...

This is so lovely. What a great group to belong to.

Annie said...

LOve your choice of stitches. That design makes such a great autumn piece. It will be interesting to see it worked up in different colors. Great job!

Deepa said...

This is beautiful,Jane.I like your choice of fabric too..goes very well with the concept.

Terry said...

It's lovely! The autumn colors are so pretty! :0)

Miriam said...

It is a nice pattern, and I like what you did with the pattern.

Ginnie said...

This is lovely, the colours are so autumnal!

Elena said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous! I love this acorn postcard!