Saturday 26 December 2009

Flower of the month-December


This is the second of the flower BOM's I have done, and I thoroughly enjoyed stitching it.  My favourite bits were the holly berries.  It was stitched throughout using three strands of DMC thread.

Leaves-#367-split stitch, straight stitch.
Narcissus- blanc- split stitch, straight stitch and #725-straight stitch for the stamens
Holly-#321-split stitch, padded satin stitch
Holly stems-#938-split stitch
Letters-#321-split stitch

I used split stitch for the outlines and lettering this time, as I prefered the look of it compared to the outline stitch I used last time.

I've also been working on J's jumper which is a lot easier when he is away.  I have now worked out why the sleeve seemed to be taking forever to get to the right number of increase stitches and was going to reach to J's knees. 

I was counting the rows according to the shape of the stitches, (knitters will understand what I mean).  However, as the knit stitch is knitted into the row below, what I was counting as one row, was actually two!  The 14 rows I was counting between increases, was actually 28!  Having now worked that out, I  now have a sleeve to unpick and reknit, but at least it will be in proportion to the rest of the body. The bonus to counting properly, the second sleeve is knitting up relatively quickly now.  Maybe I can catch up over the weekend.

12 comments:

Miriam said...

This is really very nice! What are you going to do with it?

Jane said...

Thank you, Miriam. Once I have done all 12 months, it will be made into a quilt.

stitchersanon said...

Nope..I dont get it but then I am a beginner lol.
Glad you are getting lots done. The BOM looks great. well done!

Maggi said...

Lovely blocks, I look forward to seeing them all made up.

Sue said...

That is a lovely stitchery, Jane and will look fabulous in a quilt. J could have always used the extra length of the sleeve as a belt, if you had kept going with it. ;)

Terry said...

Very nice! These blocks will make a lovely quilt someday! :0)

zetor said...

That stitching is so pretty. Can't wait to see the quilt.

Annie said...

Beautiful embroidery. Perfect for a quilt block.

What a bother to frog all that knitting. But you are so speedy, you'll have it all done in no time.

Elena said...

Very nice stitching, love how made berries too! :)

Gina E. said...

Oh Jane, that is so pretty! Your stitching is perfectly beautiful, and beautifully perfect! I don't remember seeing any of these blocks previously...I'd better go scrolling back..

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Jane, Wow, what great stitching. Love it. Happy New Year to you and your boys. Hugs Judy

Karan said...

This is very pretty - like it a lot. Cute cards you made too. :0)