Friday 9 July 2010

Finally, the sewing machine has been out

Over the last week, I hadn't been well and the brain wasn't in gear for working out anything complicated.  I have spent the time doing some needlepoint, which didn't need so much thinking. 

Yesterday morning, I finally felt as if the brain could think, and that possibly, the hands would follow in the right order.  I needed to be able to  think, as I was adding pockets to a bag, which I hadn't done before, and this is the result.
The first stage was to print this clip art picture onto fabric.  I stitched it, right sides together with some white fabric, leaving the top edge free.  Having turned it the right way out, I added the binding to the top, using the same fabric as the lining.  I then stitched it to the front piece of the bag.  First pocket done, and in the right place.

As the fabric for the outside of the bag was fairly thin, I have lined it with white fabric.  This means the outer section is double thickness and should prevent those needles from poking through. I boxed the corners and was ready to make the lining.
I always feel knitting bags could do with a divider, it helps to keep the patten and other bits separate and easy to find.  I used a double layer of the outer fabric and sewed it into the seams of the lining.  I only made one mistake when I boxed the corners.  I forgot to check the dividing pocket was the on the same side!  Easily rectified, and the lining was done.
The handles were done using both fabrics.  The blue fabric was cut slightly narrower to the print fabric, so formed a neat inner lining for the handle.  I was quite pleased with how it turned out, all in all, a successful date with the machine.

Next time, if there is a next time, I will make it slightly bigger, but this is perfect for projects on the go.

10 comments:

Annie said...

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. But it seems you have recovered quite nicely from the looks of that perfect piece. Great idea to print out the clip art onto fabric. The bag looks very professional!

Elena said...

Sorry you didn't feel good...
Your bag looks so pretty! Love your idea with the clip art!

Terry said...

Very nice bag! Well done with the pockets! :0)

Amy said...

At first...I thought...."Volleyball pic?".....and then came to realize it's a ball of yarn. CUTE!!!
The divider is a great touch; I'll have to keep that in mind for my next bag.

So glad you have been able to get sewing again.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Lou. I love that bag and the fabrics are just right. I agree about the divider. Great job.
QMM

zetor said...

Hope you are feeling better. You've made a great bag there, well done!

Rudee said...

Sorry to hear you've been out of sorts. I'm glad you're on the mend.

What a fabulous bag!!!

Mad about Craft said...

So glad you are back, I was concerned about you!

Like the bag!

loulee said...

That's a nice bag.
Hope you're feeling a lot better now.

Terry said...

Like the divided inside. Your brain was working if you printed the outside pocket.
Clever lady.
Glad your feeling better.