Friday 18 June 2010

A long time in the planning

Last year, I knitted a waistcoat and was left with nearly three balls of the yarn.  I decided then, that I would knit a bag and felt it.  I've eventually got around to doing it this week, and got a button to finish it.

I made it up as I went along, and, more by luck than judgement, it ended up a decent size after felting.

I knitted a strap which was wide enough to fold in half and turn out to give strength, The back and front was knitted separately with curved corners on the bottom and top. I then did a flap with a buttonhole tab. As there was still wool left over, I made a pocket. Once I had all the component parts, I stitched them together.


I even had enough to do a flower which was sewn onto the handle where it joins to the main bag.


The whole thing was then put through the hot wash with the bedding and this is the finished result.

9 comments:

stitchersanon said...

Wow, that is lovley. What sort of wool did you use?

Anonymous said...

A lovely bag which has felted really well.

Annie said...

That is super! You did such a great job on it with your special touches. Love the flower and the way you did the tab.

Terry said...

It looks like it came out great! Well done! :0)

Elena said...

Wow! It is so beautiful! I love the style of this bag and what a cute little flower you added!

Sue said...

WOW! It is fabulous.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Jane, WOW, how fantastic your purse is. Wonderful job. I also absolutely LOVE the new look of your blog too. My new email addy is cjquilter00@charter.net Hugs Judy

Miriam said...

What a nice bag! And the flower is a lovely detail.

Felting is always exciting to do, because you never can be sure how it will become. But it turned out well!

Karan said...

I love this & the colour is fab. I am amazed at the large variety of projects you tackle & complete... so many fabulous finishes & I don't think I'm even half way caught up yet! :0)