Once the fun with the sewing machine was over, it was time to use the samples in some embroidery, to embellish them and get some ideas for a larger piece.
I used the over stitched piece of paper and added it to some dupion silk. The spiral of french knots attaches the paper to the silk.
I do like the different textures of the the knots and paper together.
I don't have a lot of vintage embroidery to use, but I do have a collection of these patterns. The earliest I've found dated is 1933. They would have belonged to my great grandmother and grandmother, passed down through my mum.
I used one of the transfers to stitch this. I left one incomplete, as lots of linen has been passed down only partially stitched.
To it I added some pin tucked paper. Holes were cut in it to form windows to the stitching underneath. Some windows have needle weaving over them. Attached to the bottom of the paper, is some machine stitched scrim.
This can be lifted to reveal the stitching below.
After some feedback from Karen, these ideas will be developed further. I think I should write some notes, my brain is mulling over new ideas and forgetting some of the old ones before I've had a chance to try them.