Tuesday 21 July 2009

The boring bits and some fun

I don't know about you, but although I enjoy all sorts of needlework, mending isn't one of them. However, I just couldn't avoid it anymore.

Those of you that have boys, will be well aware of the toll they take on their trousers. J had a pair of track suit bottoms that were well ventilated. He had managed to go through the outer and inner layer of the crotch, so there was nothing to do but to some mend them.

I will find out if it was successful when he comes home and he is able to put them on without contorting his legs! Even though there were some other bits to do, I thought that was enough pain for one day, and I did something much more exciting.
This is going to be a little drawstring bag which could be used for small toiletries, make up, or even a gift bag. The pieces have all been appliqued using button hole stitch. The stems and leaf markings are done in stem stitch.

I would have made it up, but the fabric is quite fine and I thought I would back it with some interfacing. I thought this would help to protect the reverse of the stitching too.

The interfacing has been ordered, along with a chart I think will be suitable for the RR, and a few other bits. All being well, it should be all systems go by the end of the week.

11 comments:

stitchersanon said...

Mending? What is that lol
DH asked me to put a button on a shirt? I asked if he thought I had been born with a gene for putting buttons on...he took the hint. I thought he would do it himself but he threw the shirt out.
sigh...........

Terry said...

This is so pretty! My least favorite sewing is mending. I don't mind it as much now that I'm quilting again, but for years and years that was the only sewing I ever did. Hope the pants hold up! :0)

Deepa said...

This is absolutely beautiful!! You've inspired me to try applique :)

Mad about Craft said...

That's really pretty!

I hate mending too!! My husband can't wait literally years before I sew buttons on his shirts. Fortunately I don't have a schoolboy any more that goes through the knees on his school trousers!

Knitting Linguist said...

Ah, yes, mending. My girls both manage to go through the knees and seats of their pants at an alarming rate -- thank goodness my husband is the mender in our family (I tell him it's because he's an engineer, so he's better at things like that, lol)!

Karen said...

mending trousers!! I remember it well! Love your applique.

Linda said...

Mend is definitely a four letter word that I do not like and try very hard to stay away from. I thought once my boys were grown I wouldn't have to do too much of it. I work for doctors and their wives don't sew. I am the only one in the office that does and guess who gets delegated to do this lovely task at the office? Oh well, I grin and bear it usually but I also reserve the right to reject anything I don't want to do....I love your applique. Very lovely. Hugs, Linda

Unknown said...

a great find for panda fanatic!
my roommate and i LOVE this Morn Creations bag
hkpanda.freetzi.com

Gina E. said...

This is so pretty, Jane! Your button hole stitch is perfect; I could learn a lesson from it. Mine is atrocious.
I'm the odd one out here when it comes to mending, but it is more because I hate waste, and won't throw clothes away until they are totally worn out. I darn Ken's socks, turn the collars and cuffs on his shirts, and sewing buttons and fixing hems is a breeze! Luckily for me, Ken hates to throw his clothes out, so he doesn't mind darns and patches!!

Rudee said...

I'm not much for mending, but if I love the item, I'll do it.

I love the bag. It's very pretty and I can see why you'd rather be creative than sit around fixing older items.

Elena said...

Wow! This flower is wonderful!