Monday 29 August 2011

A Present For Me

I was so excited when  Karen wrote a blog post about an embroidery course that she was offering online- Embroider, Embellish, Create. I have long admired the work that Karen has done, and am very lucky to own a little bit for myself.  I really wanted to do the course, and sat and thought about it for a little while and decided it would be a present for me, from me.  I hadn't spent all the money I'd taken on holiday, and this was going to be my treat.

The first thing to do was find some suitable fabric.  Karen uses a lot of fabrics taken from older textiles, so I went through my drawer and found some table runners, dressing table set and an embroidered table cloth with crochet edging.  
I found some more treasures in the drawer below.  This held some old pilowcases.  I had to check they didn't have quilt covers to go with them, but sure enough, apart from the ones with the peach edging, they were all ones my mum had acquired from somewhere.


 I also found some crocheted doilies, a couple are hand made, but the others are machine manufactured.  These may or may not find their way into the project, they could prove to be too heavy.
While I was searching through, I also found one of the first pieces I embroidered.  If I'd know then, what I know now, I would have seperated the strands of floss, and not tried to embroider such small designs using the full six strands.  Nevertheless, it was well used, so well used in fact, it has begun to wear in the centre.  As you can see from the colour choice, I was not a pink girl.


Our first lesson for this course is due to start today, and I can't wait to see where it will start and where the journey will take us.

10 comments:

Angela said...

Sounds like you are about to embark on an exciting journey. Can't wait to see where the course takes you. X

Tudy said...

Sounds like a fun class and I can't wait to see what you make.

Annie said...

This should be a fun challenge for you. I love that you have a houseful of treasures to search through for raw material!

Terry said...

You're bound to make something lovely with all these goodies! I can't wait to see! :0)

Donna said...

Enjoy your journey! You found some beautiful treasures to take along with you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Libby and in the class too. Very excited about it, I've been amazed by her work for so long. Happy to be a part of it.

Linda said...

Ooh, this does sound like fun. I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to see what you do with these lovely pieces.

deanna7trees said...

hi. i'm deanna. also in the class. you have a treasure of vintage linens there. this will be fun.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful embroidery. Lovely old linens. Love your blue embroidery. This really looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful linens. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how you transform them. Enjoy the journey.