Saturday 5 September 2009

Jade plus 2 ATC

Thank you for every one's comments and tips about a light box. I do have a very large window which I have used before, but at the moment, we don't have much bright sunshine! As I was using very dark fabric and a small design, it just wasn't practical.


Anyway, I came up with another idea which meant I didn't need to transfer a design, but Annie, I will try your suggestion at some stage and see how it goes.


The theme for the August ATC swap on Stitchin Fingers was jade plus two, that is two other colours. I don't know why, but I ended up doing some research on the colour jade and found that in China, it is generally related to love. I then went to look for the Chinese characters for love and found it was also used for cherish and other related phrases.


As it seemed to have such a special significance, I bought some jade silk and then used some of the lace left over from making my wedding dress. I cut two hearts from the lace and appliqued them to the silk using one strand of DMC cotton and blanket stitch. So I had my jade, ivory and black, very simple, but I like it. Hopefully Skye will too. As I have some silk remaining, and plenty of lace, I have decided to do a series of fabric postcards along the same theme. Hopefully the first should be done for this months swap and then I shall have some extras.

6 comments:

stitchersanon said...

Wow, it is beautiful. How can it not be loved.

Rudee said...

OMG! You made your wedding dress? You are multitalented!

I love the use of lace with this piece.

Jane said...

Rudee-I wasn't the one that made my dress. A close friend of mine made it, ably assisted by mum. Sylvia did all the structural work, and my mum did all the hand stitching. She attached all the lace around the sleeves and the bottom of the dress, as well as lots of pearl buttons down the back. Mum did my cake too, so she had a lovely relaxing build up to the wedding!

Terry said...

How pretty! :0)

Annie said...

Now that's an ATC with a real back-story! What a treasure.

Gina E. said...

Oh darn it..I'm reading your blog posts in the wrong order, so my comment on your latest post was inappropriate - sorry!! But I love this ATC too.