Wednesday 13 July 2011

Skill Builder Sampler-Rest Week

It was a rest week on the Skill Builder Sampler this week, but she set a challenge for those that wanted to take it up.  It was to design a 12" block.

My inspiration came from a photo on Chris and Barbara Quilts.  It was a picture from what looks like a tiled frieze.

This was definitely a bit of a challenge for me which involved lots of pieces of paper to check on sizes before cutting fabric.
It was worth it in the end, and my admiration for quilt designers has grown immeasurably.  Back to something simple I think.

9 comments:

Karen said...

I know what you mean about admiring quilt designers. My brain can't compute much in the way of maths and I am certain you need that skill to design a quilt when you think of how the pieces have to be worked out etc...

Amy said...

LOVE the contrast of your fabrics!!! A job well done :0)

Donna said...

Love your block. You did a great job.

Annie said...

Love the red & white contrast. The block looks perfect. The more I hear about checking the sizes of the pieces carefully, the more I realize that this craft is best left to those who measure things way more precisely than I ever do! ;-)

Angela said...

You've done a great job with your design. Way back when I took a course to make a sampler quilt - my first foray into quilting - we had to design an applique block, and I found that difficult enough without coming up with a design from scratch like you have :)

Terry said...

Your block looks great! I've seen a whole quilt done with a similar block and it was so pretty! It's on my someday list.

Rudee said...

Well it's a beautiful block. It took me a bit to realize the cream colored fabric really isn't plain at all. The red draws your eye so it was hard to tell at first. It's gorgeous fabric.

Gina E. said...

Beautiful work, Jane - the fabrics are a perfect match. I've just started cutting my fabrics for the new block Leila posted today. I haven't been this enthusiastic about learning something for years!!

Anonymous said...

What a great job. I'm in awe of your skills.