Thursday 1 January 2009

Normal Service Will Soon Return

January 1st, 2008 I was moving furniture. January 1st, 2009, guess what? Moving furniture again! This time it was just rearranging and moving back into a decorated room. Last year we were moving in. Four am this morning marked the end of my first year here. Fortunately, the landlord approves of the redecoration and is happy for us to stay here for as long as we want.

Here is what I have been doing this month. After the kitchen, it was the turn of the bathroom and toilet.
Now a soak in the bath is relaxing. Amazing what a change of colour can do.
This is J's room. It got a fresh coat of paint(gone is the pink and lilac walls and the princess light shade), and a reorganisation.
He's even got his desk area.
It was tidy for a couple of days. Hopefully when he comes back, he can put away his clothes!

The last room to get done was the front room. Oh boy, what a lot of ceiling there seemed to be!
This picture looks dark as the flash wouldn't stay on because of the light through the door.
Now I have a clean and relaxing room in which to stitch and knit. I even found myself a little shelf to display my fabric postcards and ATC's I receive. Can't wait to get involved with some more swaps this year to fill it up.
By the time I finished, I was aching right down to my finger tips. I sat down on New Year's Eve to do some knitting, but only managed to get the bag out. I am hoping for more success this afternoon, but my left arm really aches. Where are the boys when you need to them to move furniture!
This morning I finished getting back into the front room and caught up with cleaning upstairs. Curtains have been washed and rehung, beds have been changed and floors have been cleaned. That's my lot for today, the kitchen and hallway can wait until tomorrow.
I am also looking forward to unpacking all my pictures and photos and getting them up on the wall. Finally, this house will be transformed into our little home.

I have rediscovered Gina's postcard she sent me from Melbourne, Australia. I love the way she has used the buttons. D seemed so surprised they had roses in Australia, not sure why.

This afternoon, I am going to think about what I am going to be doing for the next month. It feels so good to think I can get stitching again. Once the aches go, I'll be raring to go.







13 comments:

Rudee said...

Happy New Year. Just think, you've done your spring clean early-now you can relax!

Karoline said...

Congratulations on finishing the redecoration. It looks great.

Ginnie said...

Happy New Year - you have achieved loads with your decorating, it all looks lovely. Must finish both my girls rooms... but such an effort!!

Cross Stitch Queen said...

Happy New Year! Your place looks great. You are truly ahead of the cleaning game.

I finally found your page. I am so grateful for all your comments on mine. Thanks for all your support.

Karen said...

well done you!It all looks so amazing. I had a massive clean of my front room today, it really makes you feel good doesn't it.

miss said...

it is looking lovely. you have done so well with the decorating. your landlord should be very impressed with your efforts

Patricia Lessell said...

It looks really great and if you are starved of cleaning you can always come to my house and start. You have truly done a wonderful job and should rightly be proud of yourself. Now it's your turn to do anything you want. I wish you a very Happy & Healthy New Year.

Patricia Lessell said...

I just wrote a huge long comment and it disamappeared! I just wanted you to come over to my house to make it as sparkling as yours is. And then I said you now deserve to do anything you want because it looks so great. I wish you a very Happy & Healthy New Year.

Stitchety Grub said...

Happy New Year - I am in Perth Western Australia and I have a roses in my front garden ... they are all perfumed ones and are in full sun most of the day ... the blooms are a bit singed this week as we are averaging 37°c at the mo! They have been in for around 14 years!
Well done with the redocorating ... I am loving the decorating that we did in our own living room a few months ago ... it was bland magnolia before now we have yummy Cinnamon red, Saffron yellow and deep blue ...(and choc brown reclinig suite!) I have made a wall panel to match and will be posting pics on my blog soon.

loulee said...

Looks great. I must say I wouldn't have started decorating before Christmas, but it sure looks worth it.

Elena said...

Congratulations on finishing your work around the house! It looks great!

Patty said...

I really enjoyed seeing the photos of your house. The light fixtures, the crown molding and the green on the walls in the front room, I love it all. And, what is in those cages? The blue color in the bathroom is pretty too. How nice to have it all finished for the new year!

Karan said...

Wow, what a marathon haul but your home looks lovely. 10/10 for stamina! Hope you had a good festive season. Best wishes for 2009 - hope that you can relax & enjoy the fruits of all your labours. Looking forward to seeing more lovely finishes! :0)