Friday 17 June 2011

Happy Dance

Ever since being shown the basics of crochet as a child and forgetting them as I grew up, I've wanted to be able to read a crochet pattern, and make something "proper".  It didn't take long to remember how to do the squares and the basic stitches, but I wanted to be able to make garments, just as I did with knitting needles.

Well this week, I did it!  I read a pattern and I have a jacket.
It might be small, but it's still a jacket, and it's the proper size and shape.  More importantly, it's wearable!  I love the little flower decorations too, and in case you're wondering, the other bits are leaves.  Next time I go into town, I'm hoping to find some pretty buttons to finish this. 

This was crocheted using a cotton yarn mixed with kapok.  The kapok really softens the feel of the cotton, I'll look forward to using it again.

Well, tonight is Friday Night Sew In.  I have a cross stitch in progress, so I shall work on that as it's one of the projects on my list to finish before the boys come home.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's just gorgeous. I'm not entirely convinced this is your first crochet garment! It's too cute.

Tudy said...

That is great. I love to crochet more than knit but I can do both. Crochet is faster. You did a great job on the jacket. I am proud of you doing it.

Terry said...

That came out great! I can't wait to see what you make next! :0)

Karen said...

sooooo gorgeous!!

Rudee said...

It's absolutely adorable! One of these days, I'm going to take a crochet class. You inspire me.

Linda said...

Great job, Jane! I love the little jacket. It took me awhile to be able to "read" the pattern too but once you know how, nothing can stop you. I wish I had kept the first thing I tried to make when I thought I was reading the pattern correctly. Wow, what a mess. I pulled it out and redid it properly so I didn't keep it. That was a long time ago but I still chuckle when I think about the mess I made.

Angela said...

This is so cute. I'm hooked on crochet now too, it just amazes me how many different patterns can be achieved with one little hook!